Sunday, January 19, 2014

Week Thirty Five - Eight Months Out and The Perfect Haircut!!

David and his new haircut!

Celebrating Elder Haskell's one year anniversary!

Dallas Temple on a gray, rainy day.

David in front of the Dallas Temple.
 
 
Buenos Dias!
   Another great week is in the books.  The last 7 days were successful, productive, and fun!  We had great numbers, 5 investigators at church, people are progressing, and I'm just feeling good!  Either the Lord is blessing us greatly and making things easier, or I just might be starting to figure things out!  Probably a mixture of both, but most likely more the first than the second.
   We taught a good amount of LTMP's this week.  (Lessons Taught with a Member Present, and we are encouraged to have as many of those as possible)  It's been hard to use members here the way we should, mostly because my past experiences with members coming out with us for lessons.  Every time we have a member join us, nothing happens.  Nobody is home, they cancel, they lie, and we just have no luck!  It ends up being embarrassing, I feel like a failure, and I feel bad for making these guys waste their time, driving us all around town in the cold for nothing.  But this week, every time we had a member with us, everything went according to plan!  We even had Brother Romney come out with us finally.  It sure was nerve-racking to teach a lesson with an ex mission president!  But it was a good learning experience, he said we did good, and he only made one suggestion!  So that was a relief. 
I had the chance to go to the temple a couple of times this week to help the English Elders out in teaching lessons.  They have a couple of investigators that are so so close to baptism, so they took them to the temple to try to "seal the deal".  I got to bare testimony and feel of the profound spirit that is only found in the Temple.  It is fascinating to see the reaction of people entering the temple for the first time, especially nonmembers.  We went with a 17 year old boy, who was baptized a few months ago, and his mom that is supposed to get baptized this Saturday.  The boy was in awe, and said it didn't even feel appropriate to talk.  The Spirit is powerful.  I <3 Temples.
   Yesterday we had 5 of the 6 same investigators at Church that we had the previous week.  I sat next to William in Sacrament Meeting, and I had to tell him to turn the sound off on his Nintendo DS 5 times!  I should have just told him to turn it off, but I was scared haha.  I get the impression that he is on his DS for the full three hours of church, and that will change next week.  But at least he is coming!  Daron and Cheryl came to church again.  Daron was in a pimped out royal blue suit.  I need to get me one of those!  Our other investigators were a 10 year old boy named Joe, who we have a baptismal date with for the 25, and a lady named Marie, a friend of a less-active whose mom is more active.  Yeah.
   Knocking experience of the week:  Yesterday afternoon we were knocking a street that was borderline; it was somewhat nicer houses, and we couldn't tell if it was Hispanic or White.  Most of them were white, and as I have said before, white people are very blunt and honest and quite rude to us missionaries.  We approached a house with an open door, but nobody in sight.  Once we got to the door, we found a very pregnant lady sitting on the couch.  She appeared to be sweating and I wondered if she was just about to go into labor!!?  But I didn't want to make any assumptions, so I just did my typical shpeel and introduced ourselves as "the Representatives of Jesus Christ that have come to bring her everlasting joy and eternal salvation through a very very special message that Christ's Church is once again on the earth in its fulness and He wants YOU to be a part of it!"  She responded with the following:  "I'm tired, I'm in a pissy mood, and I suggest you walk away from my door right now."  And tired and pissy she was!  What I wanted to say was "Perfect!  Tired and pissy people are the ones that need our message most!" Or maybe say "You don't scare me" and try to make her even more pissy, but I figured that wouldn't be very Christlike, so I wished her a happy day and carried on.  I love missionary work! 
oh, and by the way, that isn't really my typical shpeel.  I'm not that cheesy!  How do you spell "shpeel"?  Is that even a real word? 
   Well.  I got a haircut last Monday, at a random, ghetto, Hispanic salon.  I was nervous, but it just might be the best haircut I've ever had.  I'm sorry, but I don't think I've ever looked so good in my life!  Daron told me I look like Matt Damon.  Haha!  I tried to get a picture to capture its beauty, but it just didn't do it justice. 

-Transfer calls are next Saturday.
-Today we are going to a museum.  A less active member got us all $15 tickets to the Perot Museum for free!  So we will be there all afternoon, so pizza probably won't work today.  I will let you know when a good Monday comes up.
-We went to Applebee's for lunch to celebrate Elder Haskell's year mark, and I tried to buy him TacoBell, but he never lets me buy anything for him! 
-Did Grandma and Charlotte send two separate packages or just one together?  I know I got one that I thought was from both of them, with a CD and popcorn and an orange and stuff. 
-Yes we can wear cologne, but I rarely do.  But the stuff you sent me smells good and I will use it for special days.  Does cologne expire?
-Jess has been in Africa.  I think he might be back in town by now, but we haven't heard from him. 
-I did hear that the new Mission Presidents were announced and that ours is President Taylor, but I don't know anything about him.  But that's still exciting! 

Welp.  That's all I can think of.  That's life in Dallas and I am enjoying it.  Love and miss you!  I never stop thinking about y'all and praying for y'all.  Have a great week! 
Elder Williams
 

No comments:

Post a Comment