Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Week Forty Two - Mission Bucket List: Conquer Fear of Snakes - Check!!

David and his new bull python friends!

David and Elder Malpartida having some fun!

Hey there Fam!

Sounds like y'all had a good week and have some fun plans in the near future, stuff is happening, and life is picking up and rolling on in the right direction for you all! It is hard for me to picture Tom eating real food. I guess missions really are magic! I will keep Em and Mom in my prayers as they are traveling. So I was not able to email on Monday due to icy roads. It rained ice on Sunday, so the roads were super slick on Monday and the majority of the mission was forbidden to drive, even though all the ice was melted here in McKinney by about 4 in the afternoon. I just don't get this Texas weather. The majority of last week was nice; it even got up to 80 degrees on Saturday! And then Sunday out of nowhere it dropped down to 17, with snow and ice. Right now we are in the 40's, and I think it is only supposed to get warmer from here, but you just never know! I am looking forward to rain and storm and tornado season that is just around the corner!
We had a decent and typical week here in McKinney. Transfer calls were Saturday, and we didn't receive a phone call, so I am sticking around for another one with Elder Malpartida. And that's what I was expecting, so I am okay with it. I went on an exchange on Tuesday with my district leader, Elder Belnap. He just got done with being a zone leader for 6 months, so he is very wise and experienced and I learned a lot from him. He has also had Elder Crockett and Elder Haskell as companions in the past, so it was fun to exchange our stories and experiences with them.. hehe! We teach English classes every Wednesday, and usually nobody shows up, but last week we had two teenaged brothers from Honduras come. They came to Texas for their sister's wedding and baptism. They know absolutely no English and it is hard to teach English! But they are cool kids, they are getting involved with the youth of the branch, and hopefully they will be baptized before they go back to Honduras! And if not, Elder Hansgen will take care of them.
So we have had two lessons with the Evangelicals since the first one that I told you about. The second one was a week ago, and I really wasn't sure what to expect, and I wasn't expecting too much, just because it took so much begging and convincing to get them to let us come back. So we took a member with us, and all I wanted to do was get a Book of Mormon into their hands. I started out by asking if they had any questions, and they said "nope, you cleared up all my doubts and questions last time". And I was like "WHAT?!" That definitely wasn't what I was expecting to hear. So then we taught them about the Book of Mormon, we gave them one, and they promised to read it without any problems or hesitations. I was stunned, and I felt really good when we left. So then we went back on Monday, they had their Books of Mormon in hand when we got there, and I was expecting a miracle. I was ready for them to tell us that they read it, they loved it, they received an answer, and they wanted to come to church on Sunday. Then they broke the news to us, and politely told us that they liked it, but want to focus on the Bible, and can't really see themselves changing religions. I was devastated. We were there for two hours trying to convince and persuade them once again, and we got a semi solid return appointment. I don't know why I am trying so hard with this old couple; something just won't let me give up on them! I left there feeling quite discouraged. The thought came to my head "WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE?". I don't really know. But then a quote came to my head from President Spencer W. Kimball: "The greatest reason for missionary work is to give the world it's chance to hear and accept the gospel and open the doors to eternal life." At least I am giving people their chance, and I will continue giving people their chance to the best of my ability, whether they take advantage of it or not!

-McKinney is becoming more familiar now. I only need the gps every now and then, so that is a good feeling.

-I know I don't get enough exercise, but as far as I can tell, I'm not getting fat yet. We have a fitness center at our apartment with a treadmill and a few machines, and we go a few times a week, but we still need to do a better job of taking advantage of that.

-I wouldn't mind more of those oatmeal balls. You can send them with the next package, but I don't really need anything at the moment.

-My camera is working great!

I think that's all I've got to say for this week. Love and miss ya!

Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment