Sunday, April 19, 2015

Week One Hundred - Good, Solid Missionary Work and Running Out of Time!

The group that comes home at the same time!

With President and Sister Taylor!

At the Dallas Temple!

David, Elder Adams and Elder Powell - buddies from the MTC, reunited again!

Hola!

Thanks for telling me about y'all's week!  I am sorry to hear that you have been in pain, mother.  I hope you get feeling better quick!  I'm surprised I've never caused some serious damage from sneezing.  I have been sneezing a lot lately, due to allergies, and it is just exhausting because my sneezes are so powerful, they take everything out of me and scare everyone around me!  Where is Elder Sirmans from?  

We had a good week with nothing special, no big meetings or anything, just good, solid missionary work.  Let me tell you a little bit about some of the people we are teaching right now:  Sophie Licea is a cute little 8 year old girl, whose older brother and mom are members, but they have been less-active since moving to Texas from Ohio a while back.  Her mom's name is Oyuki, and she has six kids, the oldest is 11, the youngest are two twin boys only six months old.  Her husband is only home one day a week because he works in San Antonio.  So she is always home, taking care of six kids by herself.  I don't know how she does it!  But we go over regularly and try to help in any way we can, and it is fun to play with the kids.  It is always a sight to see when that train of kids comes walking into Sacrament meeting, which happened yesterday!  
Jonathan, Christopher, and Orlando are three brothers, all under 12, who are the grandchildren of a member, a sweet little old lady named Margarita.  Their parents are not members and for a while were very against the Church, but their hearts have been softening, and Margarita thinks that it is about time that the kids get baptized.  It is exhausting to teach them, because they are always fighting with each other and horsing around, and they have almost no attention span at all!  So it forces us to get creative and teach short and simple lessons.  Exhausting, yes, but it is still lots of fun!  
The other investigator that I will tell you about is a lady named Carmen.  She recently moved here from Mexico with her husband and two kids.  She feels lonely because her husband is always working, she doesn't speak English, and doesn't know anybody; so we always make sure to take a sister or two from the Relief Society with us when we teach her.  She is not happy with the way her family is, so we have been focusing a lot on the family and the difference the gospel makes in the family, and she has really been loving it. It has been amazing to see how prepared she is, she agrees with everything we teach her!  The only sad part is that her husband, even though he has never met us, doesn't like us and doesn't support Carmen in what she is doing and learning.  It will be nice when I don't have to deal with or worry about wicked, stubborn, hard-hearted husbands anymore.  

There is a goofy gal in the ward named Betsy.  She is 24 and just got her mission call to serve in another Texas mission.  She likes to come out with us to prepare for her mission.  She met us once this week at Carmen's to teach her with us.  After the lesson, as we approached Betsy's car, we could hear the car on and running, and Betsy realized that she had forgotten to turn her car off, and she left the keys in the ignition the whole time, for 45 minutes while we were inside teaching a lesson!  Who does that?!  What a tender mercy of the Lord that was, and a testimony builder to me that this really is God's work, and he is happy we are participating!  

So I was supposed to speak in Sacrament meeting yesterday, along with Elder Barton, another Elder in the ward who goes home at the same time as I do.  Elder Barton went first and took a long time, and then he asked a member to share a very brief conversion story and testimony, but he wasn't brief, and by the time he finished, we only had time for a closing hymn and prayer.  So I didn't get to speak!  It didn't bother me too much, but I was a little bummed because I felt like I had prepared an inspired talk that the ward needed to hear, and I just wanted to get it over with.  But now I have to hold on to it, because I will be speaking on the 26th of this month.  Oh well, nothing I can do about it! 

-I haven't yet taken a look at all my stuff to try to organize a box that I will send home, but I'm still planning on it! 
-Sending my bike home with that member is still the plan.
-Dinner with Rosalba consisted of chicken, rice, and tortillas.  Simple, but yummy!
-I know Elder Nish!  He is a goof and so so happy!  He took my place in McKinney, and we see each other from time to time.  Awesome missionary! 
-Still biking.  This past week we didn't have the car, but we use members almost every night.  This week we should have the car for the majority.

All is well, and I want y'all to know that I am enduring joyful to the end!  I love you all and I am so excited to see everybody!  But, first thing's first, and duty calls!  Excited for another excellent week, and until next time!  

Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment