Sunday, September 28, 2014

Week Sixty Nine - More Training and Prayer is Real!

Elder Alkonis, Moises, and David! 

Elder Alkonis, David, Moises and his family! 

"The Goons I live with!" 

Buenos dias y feliz Lunes!

     Elder Alkonis and I had a pretty decent week!  We had a baptism on Saturday of a kid named Moises, the son of a recently re-activated recently converted lady in the branch.  We made the mistake of letting the members take care of the program and everything, and the service didn't go too smoothly, which was frustrating because as missionaries we just want everything to go smoothly so that it is a pleasant and spiritual experience for everyone.  I've learned by now that very few things go smoothly while serving a mission, and when they do, it is a tender mercy of the Lord.  So while I wanted to be frustrated, I just had to keep telling myself that he was baptized by the Priesthood authority of God, and that's what's important!  It probably wasn't even that bad from the perspective of everybody else; but either way, lesson learned!  
     On Tuesday we had what is called the Follow-up Training Meeting, where all of the new missionaries and their trainers get together to talk about how the first three weeks have been, what we can do better as trainers or trainees, as well as a spiritual boost to keep trucking along with all we have.  It was a good meeting.  It was interesting to be on the other side this time, because just a little over a year ago I was the lost and clueless one being trained at that meeting!  But we all learned a lot and got some free pizza.  President and Sister Taylor are incredibly spiritual and loving and always have the right things to say!
     So the investigator that we are really focusing on right now is a lady named Angelica H.  I forget what I have already told y'all about her, but she is a strong and faithful woman that is in a very difficult situation.  Her husband is very controlling and pretty much locks everybody in the house when he is home and takes everybody's phones away.  Luckily he works a lot, but for the past three Sundays before yesterday, he hasn't worked and has kept Angelica from coming to Church.  So Elder Alkonis and I, along with the relief society president, prayed our hearts out all week that God would provide a way for her to come to Church without creating problems with her violent husband.  And who do you think we saw walking into the chapel yesterday?  Angelica!!!  And after much convincing, from both the Elders and some of the hermanas in the branch, we got her to stay for all three hours!  It was a sweet feeling to see her in Church and have our prayers answered.  PRAYER is REAL.
     So that was pretty much our week.  We actually got a day or two of semi cold weather with some misty rain!  I even had to put a jacket on at one point, but it was quite refreshing!  It has been a hassle with our bikes this past week.  Another flat tire (Elder Alkonis this time), and some days it is just not possible to accomplish everything we have to do on our bikes.  So we have probably been a pain to some of the members, calling for rides and what not, and I can't stand it.  On a mission, you are constantly depending on other people, especially when your on a bike, and it is so frustrating!  I stress out over it quite often, but the Lord always seems to provide a way!  

-Elder Truman and Elder Meads are both still living with us.  It has been fun, and it actually hasn't really gotten in the way of the work like one would think.  We have fun when we are together, but we get work done throughout the day.  Elder Meads has been a zone leader for a big chunk of his mission, so it has been nice to learn a few things from him.  I love mission buddies!
-Elder Alkonis 19, a little over a year younger than me.  
-Yes I got the socks you sent me, along with a random and goofy little beanie. . . what is up with that?  And why did you spend so much money on socks?!  They work pretty well, but I wish I would have known how expensive they were before you bought them!   But thank you!
-I see Sister Wyss only on preparation days.  For preparation day here in the Richardson Zone, nearly the whole zone goes to the stake center to email in the family history center and play sports.  President and Sister Taylor live in the Richardson Stake, so sometimes they come play sports with us, and last week they even brought everybody sandwiches from Jason's Deli!  They are just too awesome. 

I am happy to hear that the trip went well, but I am still waiting on some pictures. . . !  That's kind of a relief to at least have an idea of what happened to the package.  Super stange!  but There is nothing that I can't live without, so no rush.  Thanks for all you do!  I have the best family and friends.  I love and miss you and pray for you all!  Have a great week!  

Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment