Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week Seventy Three - Meet the Mormons and Lessons From President Taylor!

Missionaries!

President Taylor lip-syncing to "I hope they call me on a mission!"

Bautismo de Katelyn Guevara!

David's zone at the Meet the Mormons showing.

Hey Fam!
   We had a pretty eventful week here in Garland.  To start off, we had an epic meeting on Tuesday where the entire mission got together to watch 'MEET THE MORMONS'!  We met up at a chapel in Garland/Dallas for a breakfast, then a hysterical musical number by President and Sister Taylor and the Possey, then an activity and a few trainings before the meeting.  President Taylor gave a great training on the Spirit.  At the last meeting we had, President Taylor pleaded with us to stop beating ourselves up, stop being so hard on ourselves, and stop listening to the discouraging voice of the adversary in our heads.  So this time, he gave a training on the other side of the spectrum, as the Spirit is what encourages and lifts us up to be better and happier people.  Happy people are FULL of the Spirit.  Being around people that are full of the Spirit feels good!  We enjoy listening to General Conference because those men are FULL of the Spirit!  He then explained that the price to pay to be happy, to be successful, to have the Spirit, is OBEDIENCE.  He explained it all in such a simple and understandable way that I have never really thought of before.  One of the many things I have learned on my mission is the importance of the Spirit in our lives.  Before my mission, I never really thought in terms of "is this going to invite the Spirit or distance it?"  President Taylor shared an experience with us from when he was playing basketball at BYU, and right before one of their games, in the locker room, President Ezra Taft Benson came in to give them a pep talk and told them that "the Spirit will be their greatest asset both on and off the court".  I am starting to gain a testimony of that.  I don't doubt it one bit.  We just need to pray the price and obey.  Anyway, then we watched the movie and it was incredible!  I felt weird watching a movie, but it was very interesting and inspiring and touching.  I am proud to be a Mormon.  I love being Mormon!  If you haven't seen it yet, go check it out!  We ended the meeting by singing a series of hymns, and there is an Elder that just got here that is an absolute pro with the organ, so that added some power.  It was probably one of the most spiritually powerful experiences of my life.  "I'm in heaven! I'm in heaven! In the Texas Dallas Mission I'm in heaven!!!"  (a classic song from President Durrant)
   After the meeting I went on an exchange with Elder Adams to his area.  He is a great missionary and it was fun to be working with him again.  I got to go back to McKinney on Saturday for a baptism!  So I got to see some old and familiar faces, and that is always nice!  We have a couple of baptismal dates right now for two young girls, but other than that, we don't have much going on.  We are doing lots of knocking and contacting and it isn't getting us much.  It is frustrating and tiring.  But I am trying to look at it as a trial of my faith, so we will keep pushing on and working hard.  Some prayers would be appreciated.
-If the General Conference Ensign comes out before you send the package, I would love a copy of that in English.  We should get one in English and one in Spanish from the mission office for the companionship, but I would like my own copy.  Also, I  have a jacket/hoody/coat at home that is grey, I think it is Columbia, and it is really soft inside.  I was thinking that it might be nice to have this winter, if you can find it.  Other than that, nothing comes to mind. I'll be happy to receive whatever you send!  
-The socks are nice, but I think they will be better for winter weather. 
-The last few days have been dark and glum and a little cold.  Saturday I had to break out my jacket for the first time in months!  I heard this winter is supposed to be super bad.  I'm scared! 
-The storm had already simmered down by the time we got there, Mother.  Don't worry about it! 
Mom and Em - I have another art project for y'all if you have the time and are feeling up to it.  This one should be less work than the last one.  Can you help me out?
Thank you for the updates and the pictures.  I hope Emilee had a an enjoyable day on Saturday. The girl that was baptized on Saturday was baptized on her birthday, which is Em's Birthday!  Kinda funny.  So I was thinking about you, Em!  Thank you for the support and love and all that you do for me.  I love and miss everybody! 
Elder Williams
   

No comments:

Post a Comment