Monday, June 25, 2012

Pink Poppy Pendants - A New Adventure

So, Em and I have started our own little business on Etsy!  Etsy is a web site where you can sell things you have created, or materials to create things, or vintage things.  It's a very fun website and we have actually purchased a few things off of the site and have been very happy with the products - we bought a couple of purses from The Netherlands!

So back to our business..... as you all know, Emilee is an amazing artist and watercolor is her favorite.  A few months back, I stopped in at a great little bead store in Murray called Heart Beads and decided I was going to make some beaded charms to add to my collection.  I made quite a few and even made some for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day.  I had been toying around with the idea of trying to make the glass soldered charms (because they are so expensive to buy), but just couldn't bring myself to buy all the tools and materials.  Em encouraged me and so we made the leap - bought a soldering iron and all the stuff that you need with it.  I had the idea to have her paint miniature watercolor paintings to put inside of the glass charms.  We ordered glass tiles off the internet and some came with our soldering kit.  We went to the bead store and stocked up on beads and parts to make charms.  Our soldering kit came and we went to work!  It was hard!  Actually, Em persisted and she is actually really good at it now.  I, on the other hand, am not so good at it and have let her do most of the soldering.  I did, however, try my hand at some watercolors and that was fun!  I think it's one of those things where the more you do it, the better you get at it.  I just need more practice. 

Well, they are all posted on Etsy, but we haven't sold any, yet.  Lots of people taking a look, though, so maybe it's only a matter of time.  The Monarch Butterfly charm seems to be getting a lot of traffic and I hope it sells first! My favorite is the poppy pendant that is actually a photo copy of a piece of one of Em's watercolor doodles.  We named our store Pink Poppy Pendants because we both love poppies and are always pointing them out wherever we go. 

The pink poppy pendant - my favorite!

One of Em's favorites - the turquoise feather pendant.

Em's ink doodle pendant.

The initial pendant and charm.

The Monarch pendant. 
We have been having so much fun!  It's been a long time.... too long for me to even remember when the last time was that I had a hobby!  It's extra fun and special to work with my daughter, who is so talented.  I don't know if we'll sell any, but it's worth it just to do something like this with my daughter.  Keeps us out of trouble, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment