Monday, October 28, 2013

Week Twenty Four - PTKD - Post Tramatic Knocking Disorder!

 
Downtown Dallas!
Buenos dias mi queridos familia y amigos!
     Welp.  This week was just a typical week for the most part.  It was actually kind of rough, being the last week of the transfer and all.  It seemed like a terribly long week, but it's over now, I survived, and hear I am!  Not much success this week.  One day we had a lesson with an old Mexican man, and quickly realized he was homeless, drunk, and not all there in the head.  As we departed he sang us a song at the top of his lungs, and then another song, and then he started tearing up, so we left.  Poqueto rado, verdad?  Later that night we had a lesson with a man named Martin.  He is the sweetest old man I've ever met.  He likes us a lot, but he too was drunk and doesn't seem to be all there mentally; and he too sang us a song.  There are some funny people here in Dallas! 
    So I think I might have already told you this, but the mission focus for the month has been new investigators, so lately we have been knocking more than normal.  In the past, I have never had any real problems knocking.  We have had our run-ins with some mean, ornery, old people, but it has never effected me that much.  I didn't mind knocking, and I was fairly confident in doing it.  This week we knocked on a door, and it was my turn to take the lead.  A bratty, middle aged Hispanic looking lady came to the door, but it turns out she was born and raised in Texas, and spoke English perfectly and only a little bit of Spanish.  She asked "what do you want?" and because I was in my Spanish speaking mind, I froze.  I froze and I spit out something stupid, she got even more bratty, and I froze more!  She told me my approach was unprofessional, and by then I was just frozen solid.  I had no idea what to say, so I just looked at Elder Crockett and hoped he would take over.  And he did, thank goodness.  But I felt like such a fool!!!  And now I have PTKD- Post Tramatic Knocking Disorder.  I felt like I could never again knock another door.  I felt like I couldn't be a missionary any more!  And now, every time we knock and an English speaker answers, I freeze!  I don't know what to say.  I don't know how to contact in English!   Elder Crockett has always said that he is grateful he was called to serve in Spanish, because they are just nicer and overall more accepting.  I never really agreed with that.  I didn't disagree, but I didn't agree.  Now I know exactly what he means.  Americans are mean!  But I'm still knockin!
    Last week in my email to President Durrant I told him that I was nervous around him and I hoped to get over that and form a good friendship with him.  He responded and told me to invite him to lunch...  What have I gotten myself into?  I can't go to lunch with such a righteous man!  But I gotta do it. I'm just going to need a few weeks to work up the courage!  I'll let you know how it goes.  Haha!
   We received transfer calls Saturday night and I'm gonna be sticking around for another one here in Lakewood.  The Crockett-Williams chapter has come to an end.  Tomorrow he goes to Greenville and I will pick up my new companion, Elder Haskell.  I've met him before, but I don't really know him at all.  He's from I think Salem, Utah and has been out for 10 months.  He seems like a good missionary that is happy to be here.  I'm excited!  Three months is a long time to spend with someone, but at the same time, it feels like we've only been together for one transfer!  I never thought I'd say this when I first met him, but I might actually miss the kid!  I've come to love him, and we are great friends now.  Despite that, we were both more than ready for a change, and if we had to suffer through another one together we'd probably kill each other!  So I'm looking forward to the change and I am determined to make this transfer the best one yet!  

-I got my clothes and snacks on Thursday.  Thank you!  I got a slip in the mailbox telling me where to go.  It was quite the bike ride there, and when I saw that it was two big boxes, I wondered how on earth I was gonna get it home!   But I found a way.  And I've been enjoying my sweats and snacks ever since!  I got Em's letter tambien.  Muchisimos gracias! 

Ugh.  Serving a mission is such an adventure.  It's unexplainable.  I love it.  And I love you all.  Pray.  Love.  and Vaya con Dios!

Elder D. Williams 

This is Robert and Pilar Derkowski.  Hands down the most interesting couple I've ever met.  Pilar speaks not a lick of English, and Robert speaks the most broken Spanish I've ever heard.  She doesn't look happy in this picture, but she's the sweetest, happiest Hispanic lady I've ever met.  She feeds us monthly, and she makes an entire buffet for us every time!  This time she made hamburgers, chicken fried steaks, chicken legs and chicken wings, rice, pasta, muffins and artichoke!   Little bit of an awkward pic, but I'm a missionary!  
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment